Monday 26 March 2018

Rare Sundaram Balachander 1970 'A Homage...'

Here is a 1970 release of S. Balachander on the King of string instruments the 'Been' or 'Veena'. I am not very knowledgeable about South Indian (Carnatic Music), but I really enjoy listening to it. It is quite different to the North Indian Hindustani Classical that I mainly post. To me Carnatic melodic lines are more driving and ornamented (or in my own technical words... Wiggly!). I guess this is what give it the uniqueness and charm. I have a couple of other south Indian LPs I will dig out and post in the future.

Label: His Master's Voice ECSD 2443

Tracks:
A1 - Raagam Sankarabharanam
B1 - Raagam Shanmukhapriya


Digitised with: Project Essential II Turntable, Ortofon Red Stylus, recorded as WAV 16/48 in Audacity and saved unaltered (apart from track separation/info tags) as WAV 16/48, and then separately edited with: Clickrepair (low settings) then slight reduction on surface noise + normalised to -1.5db in Audacity and exported as WAV 16/48 and MP3 320kbps.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Kirrin. The Ghatam player T.H. Vinayakaram was in the original "Shakti" with Zakir and J.McL. in the 1970's. My favourite Carnatic musician would have to be Dr.L.Subramaniam, who is probably the best violinist in the world at the moment! He plays all styles and did a couple of recordings with Ali Akbar Khan too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting album Kirrin.

    The way Balachander bends the notes on the veena reminds me (somewhat) of a blues guitar player.

    Another very nice sounding transfer. Great job!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete