Monday 15 January 2018

Shamim Ahmed Rare Circa 1975 'Sitar'

This is a vinyl that I was trying to track down for a long time. It is a rare release from India. What makes it more mysterious is that the release year is unknown. I am guessing that it would be around 1975. Unfortunately there is a lot of surface noise, but until I ever find this LP again (if ever, and providing it's in good condition!) I'll just have to make do... Shamim Ahmed was one of Ravi Shankar's senior students. I have some other records from him that I will post in the future. Some are also rare and unfortunately also crackly. These recordings were never re-released or digitised.

Label: Polydor - 2450 009

Tracks:
A - Raga Bihag (Teen Taal)
B1 - Raga Lalit (Rupak Taal)
B2 - Dhun



Digitised with: Project Essential II Turntable, Ortofon Red Stylus, recorded directly as 256kbps MP3 and edited in Audacity (sound reduction on surface noise + click removal + Normalised to -2.0db) and then saved as 256kbps variable bitrate MP3. 

3 comments:

  1. You can definitely hear the Mairhar Gharana in his playing. So beautiful. Thank you for archiving this wonderful music!

    ReplyDelete