Thursday 11 January 2018

Indian Classical Music Welcome

Firstly I would like to send a warm welcome to any visitors of this blog and those dedicated to Indian Classical Music - in particular North Indian Hindustani Classical. I started seriously listening to this music when I found a Ravi Shankar vinyl in a local store a few years ago. Although I had heard some Indian music in the past, this was really the turning point. My love for vinyl not only increased, but I found a speciality for my collection. I started learning more about the music and found the beauty in raga, all which have different 'flavours' or 'personalities'. This music now constitutes at least 80% of what I listen to on a daily basis - and unlike any other 'phase' or style of music I have been into in the past - the fascination has not worn off and I am convinced that I will be dedicated to Indian music for the rest of my life. Wherever I am, the sweet aura emanating from the tempura, the sound of the Sarod, Sitar or Bansuri will instantly calm me, and when the first tabla beats strike I begin to fall into a peaceful bliss.

To an untrained ear I can admit Hindustani classical music must sound all the same. Indeed as westerners we seek elements from our own music in Indian music and may be underwhelmed with what we hear, apart from the exoticism of the Indian instruments and their alluring timbres. Western music is mostly built upon foundations of harmony and chord progressions - which Indian music is not. Instead we are grounded in Hindustani music by a continuing tonic - usually sustained by the Tanpura, which also creates a meditative environment. This base note does not change throughout an entire performance and is usually customised to the range of the Instrument or Vocalist. Indian music is principally melodic and every note is relative to the tonic, also fundamental for accurate intonation of the intricate microtones not commonly employed in western 12 notes fixed octaves. As a result, this tonic, or base note, is constantly repeated. When the rhythmic repetition of this base note increases into a performance, we (of western music backgrounds) can often get distracted by this and conclude the music is too monotone. We don't understand why the same note is being played again and again... However, it is imperative to concentrate on the melody and notes of the raga for the real meaning and flavour of each raga.

Unlike Western music also, I think one is required to educate oneself about the music, learning all the key terms and basic philosophy of raga music. Though it is impossible to learn everything, and a deep understanding is only possible for musicians who learn a lifetime with their gurus, a good basis knowledge of the structure and elements of Indian Classical music will greatly improve the listening experience and stimulate further interest and fascination. The theory alone is an amazing topic and hobby to discuss.

Back to the purpose of this blog, many beautiful works by the Masters were never digitised to a respectable standard, or even at all. Many great albums only exist still on Vinyl. I have made it my mission to collect as many Indian Classical vinyls as I can to preserve this wonderful music and make it available to anyone else that shares this passion. Vinyl is inherently prone to damage, meaning a lot of this music will become lost without love and preservation. I commend other similar blogs such as 'oriental-traditional-music.blogspot.com', and 'flatblackandclassical.blogspot.com'.

I try to digitise the vinyls to a high standard. Being a little bit of an audiophile myself keeps my incentive to achieve best possible results with what I have. Unfortunately not every vinyl I have is in perfect condition, and even the ones that are will sometimes have surface noise, or unchangeable faults in the actual recordings (such as distortion). I will make most files available in 320kbps or 256kbps MP3's.

Thank you so very much,

Kirrin

12 comments:


  1. Found your wondeful blog via Tawfiq saab's blog. Congrats on your beautiful work, and many thanks for your preservation efforts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kirrin,

    I just bumped into this blog via a link on the 'Oriental Traditional Music from LPs & Cassettes' site and I must say - what a find! I promptly downloaded all you have posted and will definitely continue to do so as long as you keep the posts going.

    I think what you are doing, alongside Tawfik and a few others, is nothing short of a service to mankind - digitising this music for posperity.

    One small request - considering the limitations of mp3, would it be possible to have the music posted in FLAC (or other lossless format) as well?

    Many thanks for your fabulous work!

    Gidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kirren

    Great start to your blog...Will look in from time to time. like you I discovered Hindustani classical music about a decade ago. I find that it is increasingly my go to music.. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kirren,
    Just stumbled upon your blog and what a fantastic choice to share some really quality recordings by the legendary artists of Hindustani Classical Music !

    It is simply a treat to hear Ustad Ali Akbar Khan Saheb's recordings transferred so beautifully from Vinyl !

    Wishing you the very best & hope you may continue to share various artists & recordings !

    Regards & Many thanks again !
    PS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your support. I will be posting a few new things soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for these wonderful LPs. What a treasure you've given us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Nice blog. I hope we enjoy lot of rare Hindustani classical. Just a few things to note. Pls do not worry if the music is published in digitized form or not when uploading. I know that when these companies digitize the music, most of the times, it is ruined with respect to quality. People doing it are mostly just one of the employees and have no interest in the music. So the version you upload from Vinyl would be of better quality than the company conversion, be sure. Secondly put a note on your blogs somewhere about the interest in posting and non commercial use etc etc. There are many ANti elements in this world which can destroy your efforts of posting at one stroke of E mail. I have seen this happening on youtube.
    Deepak
    shantiwan@gmail.com
    Take care and all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really good observation and advice. I will add a note similar to the one on the Flat, Black, Classical blog.

      Delete
  8. A heady discovery to be sure....you have posted much to listen to and to explore...I found your site here via Tawfiq saab's blog as well, though much later...I have enjoyed what I have read so far and look forward to going deeper into the words and the music...Have been listening to Indian classical since 1967 and also had my ears initially directed by Ravi Shankar, though followed into other World Pacific recordings of Aashish Khan, S. Balachandar and others..Question: How do you go about making such wonderful recordings? I imagine you describe your efforts somewhere in your postings....thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been a lot of comments on how to best edit vinyl transfers throughout the blog. Everyone has different preferences. I think the most important is just having the best condition copy of an LP that you can find, making sure it's clean and having a good quality turntable. The rest is some editing that doesn't vary much, I put it at the bottom of each post.

      Delete
  9. I am a sitar, sarod lover... listen to all gharanas, types of music. great service you are doing to HCM. thx a Ton !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stumbled across this treasure trove of music but all the DL links seem to be dead :-(

    ReplyDelete