Monday 21 May 2018

Kalyani Roy ~1986 'The Virtuoso Of Sitar Vol. I'

Here is a lovely Japanese release and pressing of Kalyani Roy. There is not a lot of recorded work by this artist, but the two volumes by Denon are very nice. I'll be posting Volume II next. The release year is unknown, but I'm guessing it is about 1986, as there was a CD released in this year containing tracks from both volumes. The CD is however harder to obtain than the LP and also does not include the first track of this Volume - Raga Todi. Considering the pressing is so good, the CD and LP would be fairly comparable in quality anyway. On tabla Manick Das! Please feel free to comment with facts and trivia about Kalyani Roy.

Label: Denon ‎– ZX-7018-ND

Tracks:
A - Raga Todi
B1 - Raga Durga
B2 - Raga Mishra Kamaj


Digitised with: Project Essential II Turntable, Ortofon Red Stylus, recorded as WAV 16/48 in Audacity and saved unaltered (apart from track separation/info tags) as FLAC, and then separately edited with: Clickrepair (low settings) then slight reduction on surface noise + normalised to -1.5db in Audacity and exported as FLAC and MP3 320kbps.

9 comments:

  1. Thank you. A wonderful artist. These Denon LPs are not easy to find outside of Japan and have a tendency to be priced at unrealistically high levels these days. I really appreciate your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Kirrin !

    cheers,
    PS.

    Below is an article which appeared in The Hindi in 2012 on female sitarists : (http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-features/tp-metroplus/strings-attached/article3525898.ece)

    Kalyani Roy


    Kalyani Roy, well known sitar exponent and painter, exudes bonhomie over the phone from her Kolkata residence. “When I was just eight years old I started learning the sitar and my first guru was N.C. Ganguly. Next I was under P. Sen Gupta. He was a great artiste,” she recounts. “Then I went to pujaniya Khan Saheb, when I was sweet 16 or 17. From then till his death I got all taleem and love from him. I respect my guru very much.” Known as the only performing woman sitar disciple of Vilayat Khan, she is proud of having remained with the gharana of Inayat Khan.

    Saying that she never faced difficulty being a woman and was supported in her endeavour by her family, she says, “I have gone around the world and India and you will be glad to know that I still perform. My career came about on its own. No one guided me.”

    With several LPs to her credit, the veteran, who gave her first public concert in 1945, feels it is not just women but that the trend of sitar itself is less compared to other popular instruments like the electronic synthesizer. “The sadhana and depth and love required by the sitar and sarod…we put our whole life into the sitar. So we don't find such dedication today.”

    She states, “I am sorry to say I have never got any government award. Lekin ham kisi se request nahin karte. Jo ham ko milna thaa, milna chaahiye, woh ham ko nahi milaa – milega toh zaroor legaa (I don't request anyone for honours, but I have not got my due. Should it be offered I will certainly accept.)”

    Still performing on radio and television, she was honoured by Kolkata's Sangeet Ashram in February this year, while in March, she was awarded the Manik Pal Memorial award by the organisation Dhwani.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kirrin, thanks for this LP transfer.

    I've got the japanese CD(DENON 32CG-1004), and according to the liner notes, it was indeed released in 1986 but recorded in Japan the 20th of september 1974 (yes, 1974), here is a screenshot I made:

    https://i62.servimg.com/u/f62/13/51/65/33/captur22.jpg

    Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for confirming the dates. How does the CD compare? I'm guessing it is superior but still comparable, considering the standards of technology in Japan in the last decades. Japanese LP pressings are highly regarded in the collectors world.

      Kirrin

      Delete
    2. The CD will have emphasis flag, so you need a godo CD Player to play this back properly

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful array of Hindistani music dishes you are serving!!

    There is a serious danger of indigestion... ha ha

    Unbelievable music !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this beautiful music!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hii
    Nice Blog
    Visit here for New Song
    New Hindi song

    ReplyDelete