Wednesday 17 January 2018

Jamaluddin Bhartiya Circa-1980 'Raga Yaman & Dhun'

This is an LP recorded in the Netherlands, presumably in the 80s. There are only 4 LPs of his ever released. The other recordings are also really nice: the 1980 'Two Ragas' on the Opus 3 Records label and 'Jamaluddin Bhartiya' on the Space Records label. Jamaluddin was a student of Ravi Shankar. He became known to audiences in Central Europe in the 1970s, when he temporarily settled in Amsterdam where he established a school for Indian music. He passed away in 2012 at the age of 83.

Label: Chappell - 6814365

Tracks:
A1 - Raga Yaman (Vilambit Gat In Teental)
B1 - Raga Yamal ( Drut Gat And Jhala In Teental)
B2 - Dhun ( In Mishra Mand In Keherwatal)


Digitised with: Project Essential II Turntable, Ortofon Red Stylus, recorded as WAV in Audacity (sound reduction on surface noise + click removal) and then saved as 256kbps MP3. 

4 comments:

  1. Many thanks for sharing. Excellent artist, and quite a rare LP to come across. Pretty good audio quality too. One question - Why do you prefer to share lossy vs lossless? Seems like you are saving in lossless format anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your message. Most of these digitisations are originally for my own use on my iphone and I stream on the go so try to save on data limitations. Sharing on the blog was just a byproduct as I though the work I put in was worth sharing. As I've just started this blog I also didn't want to spend much money on data storage. But as interest grows I'll look into including the WAV files as well. I usually keep the WAVs on my laptop anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for sharing. I had the LP but sold alas.
    I am lookingf for another LP mp3 download from Bhartiya: Opus 3 record.

    ReplyDelete